No matter what your previous day was like, every day brings a new opportunity to start fresh. One of the best ways you can make every day the best it can be is to practice morning affirmations.
Repeating affirmations daily is a powerful way to change your life over time. Here, we’ll dive into why morning affirmations, in particular, are a game-changer and give you a list of morning affirmations to choose from to get started.
Why morning affirmations are a game-changer
You’ve no doubt heard of affirmations – positive statements we repeat to ourselves in order to bring about positive change. Affirmations can serve as inspiration for change, help you challenge negative beliefs you have about yourself, and so much more.
The average person has over 6,000 thoughts per day. Depending on how you’re wired, many of these thoughts are negative. And any type of negativity or lack of self-confidence can seriously impact your life, which is where positive affirmations come into play. They serve to combat any self-doubt or negative thoughts you might have about yourself.
Affirmations work especially well when repeated. When we repeat affirmations, it’s more likely that our words will sink deep into our unconscious, where cognitive neuroscientists estimate that 95% of our brain activity actually takes place.
Think of affirmations as a tool to help you tap into your inner psyche, which is a part of your brain that is constantly active, but often hard to reach. Positive affirmations help you get in touch with, activate, and encourage that part of your brain.
Affirmations are game-changers because they help program your mind into believing whatever it is you tell it. Let’s say you are not confident in your ability to make decisions. If you repeat to yourself “I am strong and capable of making decisions,” pretty soon your brain will think that you are strong and capable of making decisions. And soon after that, you’ll act accordingly and start making those decisions. Magic!
Positive affirmations are helpful no matter when you say them, but morning affirmations are especially so. By beginning your day with positivity, you’ll set yourself up for success and adjust your mindset for abundance. Sure, you can wait until the middle or the end of the day to repeat your affirmations, but why wait? Get your day started on the right foot by reciting your morning affirmations as soon as you wake up.
When to do your morning affirmations
When you do your morning affirmations are up to you. It’s better to say your “morning affirmations” right before bed than not at all if that’s the only time you can remember to say them. But try to fit some time into your daily routine and recite them before you get lost in the day. Some great places to fit morning affirmations into your routine include:
1. Right after you wake up
You can even do them while you’re still lying in bed! Consider writing your morning affirmations down in a journal on your nightstand, and reach for that before you reach for your phone every morning.
2. When you’re enjoying your morning coffee or tea
You can repeat your morning affirmations aloud as you prepare your coffee, tea, or breakfast. Or, you could sit down and read through them as you enjoy whatever you prepared.
3. During your commute
If you spend time traveling to work, turn off the radio, podcasts, and your phone, and recite your morning affirmations on the subway or in your car as you commute. If you don’t have a commute anymore, use that time to take a morning walk and listen to a recording of yourself reciting your morning affirmations.
The bottom line is, any time is the right time to do your morning affirmations. It’s whatever works for you, and whenever you will actually take the time to do them. Morning affirmations only take a few minutes to go through, but they can change your whole day (and life).
List of 50 morning affirmations to try out
Whatever area of your life you would like to focus on, there’s an affirmation for you! To get you started, here are some example morning affirmations for motivation, stress, abundance, focus, and gratitude. Whether you choose to concentrate on only one area or a few, it’s up to you.
Oh, and since this is Clever Girl Finance, we can’t forget about financial affirmations. Some of the morning affirmations below (especially the abundance ones), will help with your finances. But if you want something finance-specific, we have a whole post on financial affirmations, which you can check out here.
Morning affirmations for motivation
Need help reaching a goal (financial or otherwise)? Feeling a little “blah” and lacking in motivation? Repeating a morning affirmation or two for motivation can definitely help you with that. Here are some to get you started:
1. I have the tools and abilities I need to succeed at everything I put my mind to.
2. I am unstoppable.
3. I can be and do whatever I want.
4. Any obstacles in my way motivate me to learn and grow.
5. Every day I am getting closer to achieving my goals and dreams.
6. I have the power to achieve anything I desire.
7. I finish what I put my mind to and set aside and let go of whatever does not serve me.
8. I have overcome obstacles before and will overcome whatever is in my way.
9. Not everything is easy, but I will push through and persevere because my goals and dreams are worth it.
10. The hardest part of any journey is taking the first step, and today I will take that step.
Morning affirmations for stress
Whether you’re stressed about your finances, your job, or just life in general, morning affirmations can help here, too. Try out one of these affirmations to calm yourself if you’re feeling particularly stressed out:
1. I feel centered and at peace.
2. I am relaxed and free of stress.
3. I choose how to respond to situations, and I choose to respond from a place of peace.
4. I have overcome stressful situations in the past and will overcome them again.
5. I am equipped to handle stressful situations calmly.
6. There are some things I cannot control or change, and that is OK.
7. As I exhale, stress leaves my body.
8. I have the skills to deal with whatever comes my way.
9. My body and mind are relaxed.
10. I take everything one step at a time.
Morning affirmations for abundance
When we live in a state of lack, we tend to stay stuck there. Try out these morning affirmations for abundance to get yourself out of a scarcity mindset and into one of abundance:
1. Abundance is all around me.
2. I am worthy to receive.
3. I deserve abundance and prosperity in all its forms.
4. My life is overflowing with opportunities.
5. I am a magnet that attracts endless abundance.
6. I am on my way to financial freedom.
7. I see abundance everywhere I look.
8. I am living a life full of abundance.
9. I have an endless supply of ideas and the power to make them come true.
10. I am financially abundant, and money flows to me easily.
Morning affirmations for focus
If you find yourself lacking focus, you’re not alone – many people are feeling that lately. Do you drift from one project to another, unsuccessfully multi-task, or generally just feel scattered? These morning affirmations could be the key to unlocking your focus:
1. I easily maintain my focus on my goals.
2. I stay focused on my goals and get the results I dream of.
3. My mind is clear and focused.
4. I eliminate distractions and get into the flow state naturally.
5. I am alert, attentive, and focused at all times.
6. I stay present and in the moment at all times.
7. I choose what I focus my attention on.
8. My focus is sharp, consistent, and unwavering.
9. I have the focus I need to get things done.
10. Nothing can get in my way or distract me from my goals.
Morning affirmations for gratitude
By focusing on the blessings that you already have, you can open doors to even more abundance. Go ahead and be grateful for and enjoy the life that you have right now, and use these morning affirmations to help you do so:
1. I am grateful to be alive.
2. I am grateful for all of the blessings that I have.
3. I am fortunate to have so many people in my life who love me.
4. I am thankful for the food and clean water I have access to today and every day.
5. I am grateful for all of the wonderful things that have happened in my life, and look forward to many more.
6. Every day there are more and more things to be grateful for.
7. Today is a new chance for more opportunities, more abundance, and more things to be grateful for.
8. I am grateful to everyone who has helped me get to where I am today.
9. I am grateful for what I have and for what is to come.
10. I am grateful for my beautiful, wonderful, rich life.
Choose your morning affirmations and change will come!
There you have it! Fifty morning affirmations to choose from (or to inspire you to create your own). You can repeat your morning affirmations aloud to yourself, stick them on a post-it note on your fridge to read through every day, or save them as your phone’s screensaver so they are the first words you see every time you pick up your phone.
Whatever works for you – just remember to keep telling yourself your morning affirmations over and over again, and soon enough they might just change your life!