Today's episode is all about how to negotiate the right way. When you know how to negotiate, you gain an important skill set, applicable to all aspects of your life; It doesn't matter if you are a professional or employee, at some point, you'll need to negotiate. Think negotiating is hard? You should definitely think again; My podcast guest Devon Smiley dispells that myth and shares some key tips to help you become a better negotiator. The best part is that you too can become comfortable and confident at negotiating.
About Devon Smiley:
Devon is a negotiation consultant for entrepreneurs, startups, and professionals who are sick of settling, and ready to go after what they want, need and deserve. She’s combined her nearly 15 years and $5 billion of negotiation experience into accessible and actionable guidance to help you build the skillset you need to make the ask with confidence. Including, no longer feeling as though in order to get the deal you want, you have to become someone you're not.
Devon's expert advice has been featured in the New York Times, Glamour magazine, the Chicago Tribune and has helped clients including Mars Chocolate and Rolls-Royce.
Devon is also a strong believer that negotiation benefits more than just the bottom line. She works with pro bono partners like The Clinton Foundation and UN Women and leads negotiation skills training for their teams and communities.
What Devon discussed on this episode:
- Devon shares some of the biggest mistakes women make when it comes to negotiating and advocating for themselves. And she also provides specific examples women make whether they are entrepreneurs or employees.
- She shares how you can negotiate through difficult situations at work or in business because these situations will happen!
- She also gets into specific steps you can take to begin mastering negotiations and how it doesn't have to be hard.
- And finally, Devon shares her top money tip for entrepreneurs; She implemented it and it changed her life for good!
The negotiation books Devon mentions:
- Hilda: Tackle Your Inner Naysayer, Get Out of Your Own Way, and Unleash Your Badassery
- Captivate: The Science of Succeeding With People
How to keep up with Devon:
You can stay up to date and contact her via her website at DevonSmiley.com