This post on money-making apps contains affiliate links that help us grow Clever Girl Finance! Please see our disclosures for more information.
If you have a smartphone in your pocket, you have access to apps that can help put money into your wallet. Using the best money-making apps can be the perfect way to add a little breathing room to your budget. In addition, they can help you save up for a big purchase.
These top-paying apps can be a helpful way to earn extra money easily.
That said, let's take a closer look at these apps that pay you money, so you can get started making extra cash fast!
Top 39 best money-making apps
Here are some of the best money-making apps ready to help you meet your financial goals. Take a look at the list and then try out the ones that suit your interests.
You might be surprised how quickly you can start bringing in cash with these money-making apps!
Rakuten, formerly known as eBates, is a user-friendly cashback app and one of our absolute favorites. When you use Rakuten, you’ll be able to find rewards, coupons, and promo codes.
With the Rakuten app, you’ll be able to save on most purchases. Although the dollar amounts can seem small, they add up quickly. They also offer a $10 welcome sign-up bonus.
- Works with many brands.
- Not much effort is required to make money.
- Slow to pay.
2. Be Frugal
Be Frugal offers the enticing promise of up to 40% cash back at thousands of stores. As one of the best cashback app options available, you can take advantage of outstanding rewards.
Shopping will also be more enjoyable with this app, available to help you save big!
- Large cashback rates.
- A lot of stores to choose from.
- Some cash-back options take a while to pay.
Fashionphile offers a way to earn money from the designer items in your closet. If you have a collection of designer items, then Fashionphile is one of the best money-making apps.
Although the main focus of the company is handbags, they will also accept jewelry, unworn shoes, and some leather goods.
If you want to turn your designer bags into cash quickly, Fashionphile is one of the best apps that pay you money for your luxury items.
- A good way to make money from your fashion items.
- Entirely online process.
- Not every brand is accepted to sell.
Swagbucks offers to pay you for your opinion. With the app, you can take a short survey whenever you have a few minutes of downtime. Swagbucks offers thousands of paid survey opportunities every single day.
My favorite part about Swagbucks is that I can easily earn in my free time. Play games, watch videos, and also tackle trivia to earn.
The rewards may seem small at first. But I can attest that they can add up quickly.
When you're ready, you can receive the funds through PayPal or gift cards to popular stores. Swagbucks is one of the greatest money-making apps to utilize for extra cash.
- Pretty simple to get started earning money.
- It's difficult to earn large amounts of money.
You can take the benefits of coupon clipping without worrying about a potential papercut through Amazon’s coupon site. That’s right! Amazon offers coupons on a wide range of products available on the popular site.
So, if you already love the convenience of shopping on Amazon, the coupon app offered by Amazon will help you save.
- Helps you save when shopping on Amazon.
- Some technical difficulties.
6. The Real Real
The Real Real is another one of the highest-paying apps that can help you turn your handbags, clothes, shoes, and more into cash.
With this app, you’ll face stricter rules about the type of designers the company will accept. But if you have a designer item in good condition, they are likely to accept it. You'll get paid on a commission structure after your item sells.
- Simple process to sell items.
- The site takes a large percentage of the commission.
Ibotta is another cash-back app (available on iOS and Android) that can help you maximize your savings. So, every time you go shopping, you can potentially earn cash back through the Ibotta app.
The app got started with grocery store cashback rewards. But you can earn cash back at a wide range of retailers today. It's one of the easiest money-making apps to use!
- Not difficult to get started.
- Helps you save while you shop.
- Have to add receipts.
8. Survey Junkie
Survey Junkie provides another opportunity to get paid for your opinion. Each survey will only take a few minutes, and you can earn up to $50 per survey.
Depending on how much time you have available, you can watch your balance rise quickly. When you are ready, you can accept the funds with PayPal or through an Amazon gift card.
- Simple process to start earning money.
- Qualifying for surveys can be difficult.
InboxDollars is a website that offers cash rewards to users that complete online tasks and fill out surveys. Essentially, you can use the website or mobile app to build cash rewards. In your free time, it's not a bad idea to leverage InboxDollars to give your bank account a boost!
- Multiple ways to earn money.
- The cash rewards are not that high.
Paribus is an app that can help you save money by keeping track of stores that could potentially owe you money. When you sign up for Paribus, the free service will monitor your purchases for subsequent price drops.
If the app finds a price drop based on your receipt, it will start the process of requesting a refund. I love this app because it requires almost no effort on your part.
Once you sign up, Paribus will monitor stores for you and potentially pull in refunds.
- You can earn money without thinking much about it.
- Can get complicated if you have to file any refund claims.
11. Capital One Shopping
Capital One Shopping is another money-making app that can help you find better deals. It does this by comparison shopping across the web for items that you are interested in.
You won’t have to hunt for comparable prices, Capital One Shopping will take over that part of the shopping process automatically.
Plus, the app will reward you when you shop. When you shop at certain stores, the app will grant you rewards points that can be redeemed for gift cards.
- Makes it simple to save money with minimal effort.
- Can't use the app for all stores.
MyPoints offers an app that will allow you to accumulate points that can be redeemed for cash or prizes. What makes MyPoints stand out is that it’s been around since 1996 and established a solid reputation.
You can earn points by asking questions, answering surveys, shopping, and also watching movies. So it's one of the most reputable apps that pay you money!
- An app with a good reputation that helps you earn money.
- Multiple ways to earn.
- Some technical issues with the app.
Do you have extra space in your home? If so, let the Airbnb app help you capitalize on that space. Depending on your home, you could bring in hundreds of dollars each month with the help of this app.
So, why not use it to start house-hacking for a cheaper place to live? Airbnb is one of the highest paying apps for anyone that has extra space to rent. You can also make your own schedule as you decide what days you want to host.
- You can make a significant amount of money, not just a dollar or two at a time.
- You can choose when to make money and when to not host.
- You may have to share your home with guests or make alternative arrangements about where to stay while renting the space.
Since most of us are spending with plastic instead of cash, the idea of saving our spare change can be more challenging. But with the help of Acorns, you can save money easily through the app.
Not only will Acorns squirrel away your spare change, but also invest it in a portfolio that is designed to meet your goals.
- A super simple way to start saving and investing.
- While it can be a helpful way to get started, it shouldn't be your only investing strategy because, usually, you are saving small amounts of money at a time.
- Acorns charges a fee.
Drop is another of the best money-making apps that will give you points for shopping at your favorite stores. Once you earn points, you can redeem them for gift cards at popular shops.
I like Drop because it rewards your personal spending habits. I recommend giving it a try.
- Easy way to earn.
- The app will ask you to link your debit or credit card, so they do ask for personal information you may not feel comfortable sharing.
Sweatcoin makes the list of great money-making apps that will pay you for walking. Once you sign up for the app, you’ll earn Sweatcoins. These can be used to buy items such as athletic wear, audiobooks, and more.
Plus, you can also donate your Sweatcoins to charities that matter to you. Although you won’t earn cash, it can be a fun way to cover splurge purchases like new workout gear!
- Great option for earning while being healthy.
- The app has some glitches, and some users were disappointed with the reward options.
If you have items gathering dust around your house, then Mercari can help you turn that into cash.
However, this money-making app will only be useful if you already have things that you want to sell. But it's one of the highest paying apps that can help you sell your items easily.
- Declutter your space and earn money.
- You need to have items to sell in order to earn.
I’ve always thought being a secret shopper would be an interesting way to earn money.
Mobee is a mystery shopping app that pays you for your time. Just answer questions while shopping at your favorite stores.
- Could be a fun way to earn some money in your spare time.
- After you do the requested work, you may be refused depending on how well you completed the mission.
TaskRabbit offers the opportunity to earn money while completing small jobs for people. You can find available tasks on the app.
With TaskRabbit, you can make cash while getting out of the house. Since you can choose from a variety of tasks and make tips, it's one of the highest paying apps out there.
- Opportunity to make a good amount of money, not just a few dollars at a time.
- Requires more work than some other apps in order to earn.
Bookscouter is among the best money-making apps that allow you to sell books quickly. It can be a great way to turn your used books into cash if you are an avid reader.
For instance, I use this app to clean out my bookcase a few times each year.
- You can find the best price for your books because Bookscouter searches multiple companies looking to buy books.
- If your book isn't in good condition it may not be sellable.
If you have a collection of DVDs, CDs, or games lying around, then Declutter can help you turn those items into cash. The streamlined app is easy to use. Plus, you’ll also get some unnecessary clutter out of the house.
It's a super popular app that pays you money for your unused stuff!
- Easy way to sell items and earn money.
- Only for selling tech, not other items.
OfferUp is one of the best money-making apps to sell your stuff on. You can sell your unwanted items locally and also make cash quickly. It's as simple as downloading the app, taking pictures, and then listing your price.
- It's a fast way to sell items you no longer need and earn money.
- You have to meet people in person to sell items, which can be time-consuming, and it's important to consider safety also.
Poshmark is another one of the top paying apps where you can make money off of your items. Or you can find items to flip, such as clothing, designer bags, decor, and more. It could be the start of a great side hustle too!
- Great way to sell clothing, handbags, home decor, etc., and make good money!
- Poshmark takes a percentage of your sales.
If you're looking for apps to pay you money and motivate you to get healthy, then StepBet is for you!
It's a fitness game where you place a bet on yourself to meet a personal step goal. If you meet your goals you win your bet plus a profit that is split with other players.
- Can make money and get healthy at the same time.
- You can also lose money if you don't meet your goal.
You can work as a driver for Lyft to create an income. If you have a car, Lyft may be willing to work with you. So take a few minutes to fill out the application to find out.
However, keep in mind the wear and tear on your car if you go this route.
- Can earn money easily simply by driving people around.
- Your location may affect how much money you can make.
Uber is another ride-sharing app that offers the opportunity to earn money. Depending on your city, there may be unlimited potential for extra income.
Some drivers average around $19 an hour, which is a pretty good wage. So check out the Uber app to learn more and start earning cash!
You might also consider the Uber eats app to deliver food.
- Easy to make money in your free time with various schedules.
- Similar to Lyft, your location affects your earning potential.
Turo is one of the top paying apps that requires minimal work. You can actually rent out your car for cash. In fact, the average annual income for one car is over $10,000!
So, if you are now working from home and don't need to use your car as much, why not rent it out for some side money?
- It's a great passive income source that requires little effort from you to earn.
- You won't have access to your car when you're renting it out, so it can be inconvenient.
28. Fat Llama
Speaking of renting stuff out, Fat Llama is one of the best money-making apps to rent out your items!
Stuff you own, such as tools, electronics, sporting equipment, and more, can be rented out. So, see if there are any items you can rent out to make some quick cash.
- You can make money from the items you own and still keep those items for when you need them.
- There is a risk that a borrower could damage your items, but Fat Llama has insurance coverage for this, so it would mostly just be an inconvenience.
If you have fun taking pictures, then Foap can be a creative way to earn extra money. Upload your photos, and you can earn cash when someone decides to buy them.
You could create a small income stream from your photography.
- It's a creative way to make some money easily.
- Foap takes a large percentage of your sales.
On Gigwalk, you can complete odd jobs for businesses and earn money. These jobs usually involve checking out a company's products in a store and also giving information about said products.
It links to your PayPal account, so getting paid is an easy process. If you want to make some extra cash, check it out.
- It's a simple process to earn money.
- Payment for tasks can vary quite a bit.
Upwork is a good app for freelancers who are looking for extra work. You can work in your chosen field doing jobs for people. There's a lot of writing, editing, website design, and also social media work.
Although some of the jobs don't pay well, there is the potential to find solid work, so that makes this one of the best money-making apps.
- Can be a smart way to start earning money online if you are new to the industry you're working in.
- You have to watch out for scams and very low paying jobs that aren't worth your time.
Honey offers both an app and a browser extension that saves you cash. Get coupons easily using this service and also save some money. Make more cash when you're doing your grocery shopping or checking for deals online.
- Very simple approach to save money, you can set it up and pretty much forget it with the browser extension, and shopping in the app is also easy.
- You will save some money, but likely not a huge amount.
Rover is a dog-walking app that helps connect you with pets and pet owners in your area. You can also pet sit. Both of these are great side gigs that can be very lucrative and fun, too.
- This is a great app to use as a side hustle to earn real money.
- Can be time-consuming, so think of this as a job, not just an app to make money without effort.
With the Shopkick app, earn "kicks" (points) to get you gift cards. Earn rewards by scanning items you purchase, or take the time to watch some videos or learn more about Shopkick products. If you enjoy shopping but don't want to go over budget this can help.
- Easily earn gift cards for stores like Best Buy, Starbucks, and more.
- Some technical difficulties, and sometimes customers have trouble getting all of their kicks points.
35. M1 Finance
If you're eager to grow your investment portfolio, the M1 Finance app can help you make money. Become an investor quickly and easily, and as you add more money, this also becomes one of the best passive income apps.
In addition, it's FDIC insured and a simple way to start investing.
- It's a great way to begin investing using a robo-advisor.
- Fees for membership options, but the regular version is commission-free.
Fiverr is a great way to make money doing various jobs. You can write, edit, create websites, and also many other freelancing jobs.
So if you're looking for a side job or trying to start working for yourself, this freelancer app is a fantastic way to get clients.
- Easy way to connect to many clients and offer your freelancing services.
- You need to be cautious of scams or very low paying jobs that aren't worth your time.
Fundrise is a real estate investing app that lets you invest in residential and also commercial real estate without having to purchase a whole building. You instead invest in fractional shares and earn a profit.
Earn money from interest, rental income, and also dividends. It's one of the best money-making apps for beginner real estate investors.
- Great way to get started with real estate but without a large amount of money.
- Fundrise charges fees, which can be frustrating if you're just starting to invest.
Some of the things that can save you the most money are your credit cards and debit cards. How you manage your money and budget can save you cash.
Mint is an app that keeps track of your money and then helps you budget effectively. This ends up making you money in an indirect way because it can help you cut back on impulsive or unnecessary expenses by helping you stay organized.
- Mint is free and keeps all of your finances organized.
- Some users experienced technical difficulties with the app.
The Instacart app allows you to help people with their grocery shopping as a side hustle. It's also a smart way to make some extra money if you need a flexible schedule.
In addition, it's a fun job that you can get started with quickly.
- Easy work that you can do at any time.
- Time-consuming work, so it may not be right for everyone if you're extremely busy.
Money-making app common questions and answers!
Here are some questions you might have before you start to look into apps that pay you money.
Are these apps legitimate ways to make money?
These apps are all legitimate ways to make money. However, scams are always something to be aware of, so it's important to be cautious and do your research before you sell or buy anything.
What are the highest paying apps that can make you the most income?
How much you make using apps is mostly up to you. However, the highest paying apps are generally the ones that allow you to do a job and get paid.
Survey and cash back sites may help you to make a bit of income, but sites that let you rent out your home or car or do a job like writing, web design, or grocery shopping will generally pay better.
You may want to try out several of these apps and see how much you can make when you combine your earnings.
Use these best money-making apps to make extra cash!
Using the best money-making apps can be a fun way to give your income a noticeable boost. So take a minute to download the apps that caught your eye. Then watch the money add up!
However, be sure to put your money to good use, such as putting it into savings, investments, or paying off debt. So, make a plan for your extra income so you will be savvy with your finances.